GREEN CRAB TARAMOSALATA
INGREDIENTS - makes about 2 cups
- 8 ounces bread – any kind of white, crusty bread, Italian or French, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup mix of roe and meat (mazanetta) from the female green crabs
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus more for drizzling on top
- Salt, pepper, pinch of red pepper flakes
- Put the bread in a medium bow, and pour cold water over it. Drain immediately, and squeeze the excess water out of the bread.
- Put the bread in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the roe and onion and process lightly. Slowly pour in the lemon juice and olive oil, allowing the bread to slowly integrate the olive oil. Taste for both lemon juice and salt, salt and pepper. Add red pepper flakes and taste again.
- Remove to a bowl, and smooth out the stop of the spread. Drizzle some olive oil over all. Serve with crackers, celery, radish, and carrots. This can be made 2-3 hours n advance. Store in refrigerator, but take out 15 minutes before serving so it is not super cold.
SOURCED FROM HEATHER ATWOOD’S BLOG FOOD FOR THOUGHT- FOR ADDITIONAL RECIPES VISIT WWW.HEATHERATWOOD.COM