Making stock is one of the simplest ways to cook with green crab. The stock can be made from either males or females at any time of year and can also be made from crabs leftover Mazanetta (see recipe on previous page). Green crab stock is fantastic for creating flavorful broths, but can also be used to add to the flavor complexity of pasta dishes, vegetables, paellas, grains, and risottos. Green crab stock has a unique savory quality due to naturally occurring umami compounds, making it an excellent addition to seafood and non- seafood dishes!
- At least 1 lb. of green crabs
- Optional: spices and fresh herbs
- Fill pot halfway desired amount of water and add a pinch of salt. The water in the pot should cover the crabs in about an inch of water and it is recommended to use at least 1 lb. of crabs.
- Rinse live crabs throughout in cold water and then add to boiling water.
- Boil until crabs turn red, then turn burner off.
- Use a mallet, rolling pin, or a similar object to crush the crabs within the pot. This will release more flavor from the crab.
- Optional: add desired herbs & spices
- Turn burner back on and allow the crushed crabs to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour stock over a fine strainer into a container to cool.